Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Must Go Down to the Sea

 …...With my apologies to John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a sushi bar and a map to find it by,
And a cold beer and salty chips and a doggie bag for taking,,
And a borrowed board on the sea's face and a green wave breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the rip tide
that floods you out of your beach chair and cannot be denied.
And all I ask is a dry towel and to stop my book from flying,
And I wish the lady next to me would stop her kid from crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the dog poop and the blowing sand where the suns like a burning knife;
And all I ask is parking space given up by a Range Rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the damn trips over.


(Sadly, this was my take on a day at the beach not long ago)
You'll like Masefield's version better:

http://www.poetseers.org/the_great_poets/misc/i_must_go_down_to_the_sea/

No comments:

Post a Comment